Grandpa's Hands


My dad was and still is a master craftsman. As a young boy he built model cars, made things with leather, and even a beautiful ring for my mom that I wear every time I visit.  I have yet to make it home with it still on my finger. But I am trying. He still paints, builds, and creates all sorts of things for his house. But when it comes to the appreciation of his grand kids....its the pinewood derby. He has helped most of his grandsons with their pine wood derby cars. I think it is a right of passage for each scout to work with grandpa on the car. The cars are truly a work of art, not to mention many of them win! Tyler passed through this right of passage. Its was incredible to see Tyler work alongside his grandpa using power tools, spray paint and learning the importance of balancing the cars weight.

Watching my dad and Tyler brought back memories of doing things with my dad. He was always patient while teaching us and really just wanted to have the company while he worked in the garage, on a car, or fixed something at the kitchen table. The phrase often rings in my mind:  " You don't have to do any work, just come and keep me company." He often said this to us. At the time I didn't realize how important it was just to be with him, but now as I am grown and out of the house I wish I had taken more time. I see my kids going a million miles an hour with friends, activities, and their own growing interests and there are times I just want them to come be with me. I wish I had taken more time with my dad, seeing him work alongside my son touches my heart in a way that I cannot express. Parents are amazing, it too bad we don't realize this until we are out of the house busy going a million different directions and its too late to just come and keep them company.
  

No comments: